Thursday, September 17, 2009

From busy in California to Mellowing out in the Caribbean to Exploring Costa Rica




My mom will tell you that I never sit still. She refers to me as her little "jet setter." She's right. It was impossible for me to sit still living in California. There's always some thing to do and some place to go. Melissa lived in L.A.. I lived in San Diego. We both were working full time.

Busy.

But we wanted wanted to travel. Not a week-long vacation. Not 6 hours in a cruise ship port. We wanted to travel... really travel. So, we made a plan. We didn't renew our leases when they ended. I quit my job after 10 years. Melissa quit all three of her jobs, and put dance on hold. We packed up all of our things and put them in our parents' garages. We said goodbye to our friends and family, and we left to the Virgin Islands.

Melissa and I spent a good part of our time on Water Island. Comprised of just over 490 acres of volcanic rock, Water Island boasts no significant commercial establishments and a population of less than 200 people. On this island, one has no choice but to relax. We woke up with the sun everyday for a walk followed by some yoga. We made cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In between yoga and eating, we hung out at the beach, we hiked, I surfed, we sailed, and we watched Jeopardy. Most nights we were in bed by 9PM.

Mellow.




About a month before we left for the Caribbean, I met a man
named Issa with some connections in the Caribbean and Central
America. He was excited for our adventure, and offered to help
out in any way he could. He told me St. Thomas is a wonderful
place, but said we ought to come visit him in Costa Rica before
committing to anything long term. We decided to take him up
on his offer, bought one way tickets to experience the Pura Vida.
We've been in Costa Rica for almost 3 weeks now, and we are
loving it here. There is so much to catch up on, and I promise
there will be many posts in the very near future. I apologize for
the lack of a consistent thought.

Peace.






1 comment:

  1. I like sporadic thought! I really enjoy reading guys!

    ReplyDelete